AFIP Certification – The Gold Standard for F&I Compliance Education
The AFIP certification program provides comprehensive dealership compliance training for financial services personnel with a working knowledge of the state and federal regulations that govern vehicle purchases. Many lenders, vendors and agents who service F&I operations have their field representatives AFIP-certified to support dealership compliance efforts. AFIP certification is the cornerstone to the dealer’s compliance program.
The AFIP curriculum is designed to give you a comprehensive understanding of the regulations and best practices that will make you successful. Our curriculum is delivered via up-to-date, online, interactive, multimedia technology. Online training makes it easy to access information and progress through the material at a pace that’s right for you.
Designed and delivered by university professors, industry veterans with 40+ years of experience, and DOJ-certified facilitators, AFIP’s curriculum provides current and accurate information from professionals working daily with F&I issues in automotive dealerships.
All AFIP certification programs include:
- Detailed lesson plans to walk you through each section
- Lecture videos hosted by a former Northwood University professor and 20-year AFIP partner (and AFIP Accredited Facilitator)
- Downloadable audio files of the lecture series for portable study
- Required reading documents to supplement the course text
- Practice quizzes to gauge your progress
- Live study sessions and reviews conducted via conference call
- Optional two-day certification boot camps at locations around the U.S. to facilitate the certification process
- Carlaw F&I Legal Desk Book (by the dealership lawyers at Hudson Cook)
- 4 Easy Steps to AFIP Certification Guide
In addition to F&I compliance training, AFIP Certification also requires adherence to the AFIP Code of Ethics. AFIP has certified more than 50,000 people over the last 27 years – with a nearly perfect record of compliance with our stringent ethical code.
Despite the amount of information covered in our F&I compliance training, there is a 98% pass rate for professionals attempting certification. AFIP works with students until they master the material. We provide Spanish-language exams, tutoring, accommodations for disabilities and the opportunity to retest when needed.
About Our Certification Curriculum
AFIP’s multi-tiered certification ladder offers financial services professionals and managers a distinct career path. Certified F&I Professionals must recertify every other year at increasingly difficult levels to maintain their certification and individual membership in AFIP. This continuing training requirement keeps AFIP-certified professionals up-to-date on new and revised laws.
The 200-question Basic Exam consists of three modules – 150 federal law questions, 25 ethics questions and 25 state law questions. A score of 80% on each module is required to earn certification.
Candidates certified at the Basic level receive a diploma, business card logo and the right to use the professional credential CPFS (Certified Professional in Financial Services) after their name.
The Senior Exam has 150 federal law questions and 25 state law questions. A score of 80% or higher on each module is required to pass. Senior candidates are also required to complete the Senior Applied Ethics Module in the exam booklet, but it isn’t scored. In the module, Seniors develop, and sign adherence to, a personal code of ethical conduct – in addition to signing the AFIP Code of Ethics.
Senior Certified professionals receive a new diploma and business card logo. Their status is recognized with the professional credential SPFS (Senior Professional in Financial Services).
Executive Senior Certification
Executive Senior Exam
The Executive Senior Exam has 150 federal law questions. Executive Seniors receive a new diploma, business card logo and designation as an EPFS (Executive Senior Professional in Financial Services).
Master Tier Exams
The exam questions become more nuanced and challenging with each level. As they advance, Master candidates will receive a new special diploma, business card logo and the corresponding professional designation.
Study resources, exam specifics and professional designations for each level are listed below.
- Study Resources: CARLAW® F&I Legal Desk Book, AFIP REP online training and live final exam review
- Exam: 75-question proctored paper(?) exam covering federal regulations only
- Professional Designation: Master Certified Professional in Financial Services (MPFS)
Executive Master Level
- Study Resources: Online tutorial with overview of new and updated state and federal regulations will be available the 4th quarter 2016 and live final exam review can be scheduled?
- Exam: 75-question online exam covering state and federal regulations
- Professional Designation: Executive Master Professional in Financial Services (EMPFS)
Master Certification Course & Recurrent Training
After they pass the Master Course, candidates will be required to complete recurrent training every other year. While you will take the initial exam during cycle one at a PSI testing center, the second and third cycles (recurrent training) will involve un-proctored refresher quizzes on the second and fourth anniversaries of your initial Master Certification. The year after the third cycle, you’ll go back to cycle one. To maintain certification and membership, you’ll continue with this cycle until you retire.
NOTICE: If your Senior Certification expires before the launch of Master Certification, you will be granted an extension. Please contact AFIP for more details.
Order your materials now or choose from the following options for more details on your individual program of study.
AFIP Industry-Specific F&I Training Courses
We offer tailored F&I compliance certification for the following industries: